Nigeria Whacked By Cameroon

Nigeria’s social woes was late Friday evening compounded at the Weiner Neustadt Stadium, Vienna, Austria, when the country’s Super Eagles were beaten by Cameron’s Indomitable Lions. The match, which started at about 7:30pm Nigerian time, ended in a 0-1 loss courtesy Zambo Anguissa’s 37th minute goal.
Hostilities began with the Eagles imposing early minutes dominance, 63% to 37%, a situation that was soon reversed as the Lions asserted their presence, culminating in the team’s ability to create early scoring opportunities.
Despite the Lions’dominance in terms of ball possession, the Eagles made some remarkable efforts at rekindling their presence. However, such attempts were met with brutal heckling some of which resulted in the two yellow cards of the match handed over to the duo of Samuel Oun Gouet and Duplexe Tchamba in the 30th and 80 minute respectively.
In particular, Simon made a fine cross to Onuachu who fluffed the effort with a header that went well over the cross bar. However, it was Andre Anguissa who responded with a goal for the Loons, one that soddened the Eagles’wings till the end of first half.
The second half teed off with ball possession, 40% to 60%, still firmly in the Lions’ grip. That however, did not bar Kelechi Iheanacho from lapping on one of his opponent’s poor clearance to attempt to ram home a possible equalizer. But his effort was way out of the goal range.
Not long afterwards, his Leicester team mate, Ndidi whipped another shot from outside the area but he watched his effort grazed the cross bar. Twelve minutes later, it was the turn of Iheanacho to settle score at par but again, his shot went off the mark.
Within two minutes, the Eagles secured a promising corner kick. But it was one from which the Lions’ goal tender, Omossola, apparently the man of the match, displayed his agility as he nipped a goal bound rebound from Simon who had a clear goal on sight. It was an unbelievable opportunity for a leveler.
Moments later, Oghenekaro Etebo broke into the penaty area but was brought down raising hope for the long sought equalizer. But again, it wasn’t to come as the Omossola made a miraculous save, dimming hopes of any reprieve for the Eagles.
Play continued with Eagles making double substitutions, Onuachu and Iheanacho making way for Terem Moffi and Ahmed Musa. It was also an opportunity for the Lions to make similar double change with Choupo Mouting and Ignatius Ganago coming for Stéphane Bahoken and Ngamaleu
Soon after, Simon again made an attempt at salvaging the game with a free kick taken from the edge of the box. But his kicked came off a Lion player for a corner.
The Lions made another substitution, bringing in both Junde Malung and Yvan Neyou to replace goal scorer Anguissa and Hongla.
The Eagles won another corner through Musa but that didn’t help either before the match was held up briefly as the stadium’s water jets turned on suddenly, spewing water all over the place.
Simon and Etebo were soon taken off for Iwuala and Olayinka just as the Lions substituted Ngadeu-Ngadjui and Toko Ekambi with Tchakote and James Siliki. Valentine Ozonwafor came in later for Throos Ekong who was injured.
The game ended after two late rallies from the Eagles which Omossola smothered almost effortlessly. Whereas he was on hand to pick Musa’s ball after the latter’s dazzling cut-in shot, he simply made mincemeat of Iwuala’s well aimed shot.
At the blast of the final whistle, the Eagles lagged behind both in goal deficit and ball possession which stood at 45% to 55%. However, the Eagles had better performance as seen in its 6 corners, 5 shots at the goal, no yellow card against the Lion’s 4 corners, 1 shots and 2 yellow cards.
However, while the Lion’s counterpart kept a clean slate, saving 5 shots at goal, his Nigerian counterpart could not save the lone the Lion’s sole goal bound shot. The return leg is billed for June 8.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.